Can you remember the last time you tried a new fruit or veggie? What was it?
It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut of whizzing round the supermarket, picking the same foods week in, week out. It’s certainly much quicker that way!
But, to get maximum benefit from a healthy diet, it needs to be varied.
Today’s challenge is to experiment with fruits and/or vegetables
Remember, fruits and veggies in season will be more economical. You should also try out some of the frozen or canned varieties, which are a great option when you’re stuck for time.
10 ways to add more fruits and veggies to your diet today:
- Have grilled tomatoes and mushrooms with wholegrain toast, and a glass of whole orange juice for breakfast.
- Top your breakfast cereal with a banana, or a handful of dried fruit.
- For lunch have a leafy salad with, or in, your sandwich.
- Take a piece of fruit, or fruit salad for your mid-morning snack at work.
- Prepare sliced raw vegetables with a healthy dip, as your mid-afternoon snack.
- For dinner have two vegetables (fresh or frozen) with your meal.
- Add extra vegetables to your favourite dishes in place of some of the meat, for example stews, soups, curries, or casseroles.
- Grate or finely chop veggies into curries, soups or stews, or mash white beans into minced beef.
- Experiment with different styles of cooking – for example BBQ, or roasted vegetables. Or, how about poached pears?
- Serve a fruit based appetizer or dessert.
Have you tried any new fruit or vegetable recently?