I love a snack you can take with you anywhere with little hassle… and, seeds are just that snack!
They are also a great source of many minerals and healthy fats.
They are the ‘eggs’ that contain all of the nutrients needed to nourish the growth of a new plant, therefore it’s not surprising that they are so good for us.
Pumpkin seeds, otherwise known as pepitas, are flat, dark green seeds (sometimes incased in a yellow-white husk), they have a chewy texture, with a sweet, nutty flavor.
Nutritionally, pumpkin seeds contain fibre, iron, manganese, magnesium, omega-3, omega-6, phosphorus, phytosterols, potassium, protein and zinc, to name but a few.
In fact, seeds of all kinds make a very beneficial part of a healthy balanced diet.
A serving is roughly 1 tablespoon.
Ways to add pumpkin seeds to your diet
- Sprinkle on top of roasted vegetables
- Mix through leafy salads
- Grind pumpkin seeds with fresh garlic, mix with olive oil and lemon juice for a tasty salad dressing
- Add them to homemade beef or chicken burgers
- Add chopped pumpkin seeds to your porridge
- Include in your baking recipes, for example oatmeal cookies